Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Orange and Blue - and Some Vellum, Too!

This layout uses two sheets of gorgeous blue and orange paper from Quick Quotes Paper Company and one of their Vellum Journaling Strips.  I wasn't sure about the designs on this "Tin Type" line of papers, but loved the blue/orange color combination, so I took a closer look.  I flipped these two sheets over and found, to my delight, a much more subtle pattern that was easy to use.  I cut a die cut flower pattern out of the orange sheet using the Paper Lace Cricut cartridge and added a journaling box from Simple Stories that I had in my stash (it's cut apart behind the photo to make it appear bigger than its original 5x7 size).  I really liked this vellum title strip, but wanted to make it stand out on the page a bit more.  I love how placing colored and/or patterned paper behind the vellum can change the whole look of it - this makes it easy to match to your layout.  I opted for a small polka dot green print.  Adhering vellum can be challenging, too.  I was out of vellum tape, so I decided to just add a couple of stitches to adhere it to the green paper.  I simply threaded a needle with two colors of thread and doubled it up and stitched a few irregular "stars" to attach the vellum to the green paper.  I then could use my regular adhesive to attach the strip to a piece of chipboard (okay it was just some cardboard) and then used glue dots to attach the whole thing to my page.  Basically, I took a $1.00 vellum strip and with a few items I already had in my stash, turned it into a $3.00 embellishment.  Now that's frugal - and pretty, too!  

I was also drawn to the same color combination on this Nikki Sivils line of papers called "Messages".  It also sported some cute telephone and typewriter graphics and fun little phrases.  I was excited to use the "You are just my type" title for a layout featuring a recent photo of my husband.  I used one sheet as the background and cut a large shape (from Storybook Cricut cartridge) from a sheet of ledger paper (so cool!).  The other two sheets had all sorts of graphics on them, including the strips of typewriters and telephones (just cut them apart and layered 3 strips behind the photo).  I fussy cut the big typewriter and popped it out on the page with foam dots.  The small banner punched out from the die-cut sheet and I threaded a bit of twine through the four pieces to connect them before I adhered it with glue dots onto my page.  I love how this layout turned out.  It was nice to create a page for the man who, after 17 years of marriage, is STILL "my type."

I had lots of elements left, so I also created a few cards.  I used some plain cardstock from my stash and layered various embellishments to create these three cards.  I especially like the "you light up my life" sentiment - too cute!
You can find these fun papers at Scrapdoodles right now.  Challenge yourself with a new color scheme, have a little fun with the vellum strips and send a few "messages" to your friends and family.  I think the Nikki Sivils "Messages" won't last long, so hurry in!

2 comments:

  1. Love the die cut that you created using the orange in the Tin Type collection!!!

    Thanks so much for playing along with us at Quick Quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous layout. Love the die-cut you created. So glad you joined us in our latest Quick Quotes challenge!

    ReplyDelete