Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Simple Stories "Take a Hike" Collection

We finally got hit with some warm weather here, so it was easy to think about camping and being outdoors.  Scrapdoodles is getting so many awesome new lines in, it's hard to decide which to choose.  I was immediately drawn to the earthy colors and distressed look of the Simple Stories "Take a Hike" line, though. We love the outdoors, and with all the great elements in the collection, it was easy to create 2 layouts in quick time.  I think that's another reason I really am drawn to pretty much everything Simple Stories is putting out right now.  Their collections are so fun and easy to use for regular layouts, Project Life style layouts, and projects of all sorts.
This first layout used the great wood texture background and the fun dot patterned accent at the bottom.  I just started layering some patterned paper, 3x4 cards, and several sticker elements in small clusters around my page.  Everything already coordinates beautifully.  A few elements I raised with pop dots.  I also added a  couple of brads from my stash and punched out several small circles from some thin cork material.  I thought this continued the natural and rustic feel.

For my next layout, I treated some plain kraft cardstock with inks to "grunge" it up a bit.  I used a combination of spray ink (Mr. Huey's Classic Tan) and Distress Ink (Tim Holtz Walnut Stain).  To the right of my photo, I cut 4 squares from patterned paper in the collection and rounded just 2 corners of each. Then, just as in the other layout, I just started layering the paper and sticker elements in small clusters.  The bingo cards (LOVE them!) are part of most every Simple Stories collection and are so much fun to use.  
I guess I just couldn't stop layering and playing with this line, because I also made several treat boxes.  I started with a simple cardstock box and then embellished the front with bingo cards and stickers and a rustic string.  I thought I could fill them with trail mix and it would be a fun party treat, date night treat, or family outing treat.

For details on how to create the simple box, watch this video tutorial I made!

No comments:

Post a Comment