Thursday, February 19, 2015

Journaling Throught Lent

We are in the season of Lent and this year I've again been inspired by the daily word prompts offered by CatholicSistas.com and their Lenten Photo a Day Challenge.  You can find the list and their post explaining the Lenten journey HERE.
I prepared a notebook and my intention was to take a photo a day, post to instagram and write a short devotion as I did last year, but I was led in a different direction once I started.  Instead of the notebook housing my photos, I am creating an art journal entry based on a scripture reference inspired by the word of the day and wherever my own devotions lead me.  As I personally spend this time with the Word, I pray that my art and reflections will bless and inspire others to search scripture as well.  Lent is a journey.  A chance to refocus, reset your gaze, and move closer to the cross.  Here are my first two entries.

Day 1 - symbol.
Reflecting on the symbol of ashes, I used some of the ashes from our fireplace to draw the cross and smudge the page.
The verse is Joel 2:13 - Return to the Lord your God, for He is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love.


Day 2's word prompt was prayer.  This verse from Psalms spoke to me.  
Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have given me relief when I was in distress. Be gracious to me and hear my prayer.  Psalm 4:1

I didn't realize how much these two verses complemented each other until I put them together here.  I'm excited to see how God leads me throughout these Lenten devotions.

Blessings, friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment