Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Lenten Art Journal

I wanted to share here the last few days of my Lenten art journal.   Though the output for each day is a completed piece of art, the process is the most meaningful part. I begin with each day's word prompt (from the list published by Catholic Sistas HERE). I prayerfully consider the word prompt and begin searching scripture for a verse that speaks to my heart.  The verse usually inspires the approach I take to the page.  My intention is to pray and meditate on the scripture as I work. Of course sometimes my thoughts stray, but then I just pause and refocus. It's been a blessing to spend time in the Word and then respond to it and interact with it in a creative way.  I pray that my sharing also blesses and inspires others.


Day 6 - Fortitude
Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be frightened and do not be dismayed, for the Lord you God is with you wherever you go.
I used a fine-tip Sharpie pen for all the lettering and doodling.  I then used my fingers and some of my daughter's finger paint to cover the page in blue.

Day 7 - Desert
Isaiah 43:9 - I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland. Our God can bring bounty our of all our deserts!
For this page, I started with the background and created a very rough image of sky, stream, and desert using acrylic paint.  The I AM and WAY are stamped and the other lettering is Sharpie marker.

Day 8 - Kindness
Colossians 3:12-13 - Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.
I cut (with Cricut) and traced the ribbon template, outlined it in marker and colored with watercolor pencils.  The yellow background is stamp ink.

So grateful that our kind Father led me to this verse today.  I'm having a hard time being kind and patient and forgiving and this is a wonderful prayer for me to repeat, asking God to help me to be kind despite the unkindness of others, humble and patient when others aren't, and to recognize my own faults and need for forgiveness just as I ask God to help me to forgive even when there is no apology.  I think this page will remain open on my desk for awhile.  Be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment