Monday, August 1, 2011

Noel Chipboard Door Hanger


I've had this shaped chipboard in my stash for a while, just waiting to become something special, and now, it is!  I used My Mind's Eye papers on this project.  They are so beautiful in person - a little glittery and shimmery and wonderful frosty colors.  I really like the pairing of browns and blues. 
I used the chipboard to outline the shape onto my papers and cut out by hand.  I ran the pieces through my xyron for a really secure adhesion to the chipboard.  I also did a little shaving and sanding on the edges for a clean fit, then inked all the edges. 
Next, I cut the letters with my Cricut using the Winter Woodland font and adhered those also with my xyron.  For the "flowers", I cut several styles and sizes of snowflakes from various cartridges - just filled up my Gypsy mat - and then layered 4 or more together and secured them to each other and to the chipboard with a brad.  For each, I also inked and then curled up the edges and added some more sparkle with crystal Stickles.  The two birdies are chipboard pieces from My Mind's Eye.
The chipboard pieces came with two holes in the tops and I just flipped them to mark the holes for the bottoms to be sure it all matched up.  I used my Crop-a-Dile to punch the holes.  I connected the pieces using small metal jump rings and short pieces of ball chain (all parts from Tim Holtz).
I added a longer length of ball chain as the hanger and tied on a ribbon.  I can't wait to enjoy seeing this each day when winter and Christmas are a bit closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment