Thursday, March 6, 2014

Lenten Photo A Day - Day 2: Virtue

Day 2: Virtue
Day 2's word is virtue.  The first thing I thought of was the Proverbs 31 woman.  Looking at a few different Bible translations, she is referred to as a "virtuous woman" a "wife of noble character" or "an excellent wife." She's quite a woman to live up to.  She works hard, generously gives to others, and cares for her home and family well. My Bible says she wears purple (v22) - always a noble color (and my favorite). She speaks with wisdom and shares her wisdom with others.  This woman does not seek praise, but her children call her blessed and her husband praises her (v28).   According to verse 10, she is worth far more than jewels, and my translation specifically mention rubies, thus my photo.  The "jewels" I used belong to my daughter.  The small purse was handmade by my mother.
When I think of my mom (now resting in heaven from her work on earth), I remember many virtuous qualities - she worked hard and took care of us well. She was a seamstress and a gardener, so it's easy to picture her as the Proverbs woman.  She was many things, but she was not perfect - none of us are.  My daughter is five - so young but wanting to be so grown up.  I have much to teach her and pray daily for wisdom as I do so.  I hope she one day sees the Proverbs 31 woman in me.  She'll know I'm not perfect, but I hope she'll rise and call me blessed and memories of me will be worth far more than rubies in a purse.




No comments:

Post a Comment