Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Lenten Photo a Day Challenge - Days 41 and 42: Quiet and Persevere

Day 41: Quiet
When you are quiet, you hear and see and generally notice the world around you better.  The other day I took a few minutes just to sit quietly on my front porch and enjoy the (finally) warm and sunny weather we were gifted with that day.  I was quietly thanking God for the things I noticed around me outside - the trees budding, the daffodils dancing, the grass greening, the sun on my toes.  As I sat on my porch I caught a glimpse of red and leaned over to see.  I was delighted to find a single tulip hiding behind a bush right off the porch.  Had I not taken a minute to be silent, I would never have seen this little beauty.  I had the chance to surprise my daughter by showing it to her later.  She "oohed" and "ahhed" just as I did and we both thanked God for the little surprise gift.  Even though life can get super busy and often chaotic, don't forget to slow down and even just for a moment, be silent.  You never know what God has to show or tell you in that moment.

Be still, and know that I am God.  I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in all the earth!  
Psalm 46:10


Day 42: Persevere
As the spring takes hold of the earth, plants of all sorts, most with names unknown to me, are sprouting forth. I've always been amazed by this - little miracles every spring.  As I figure out what is weed and what is a plant I wish to have growing in my yard, I am again amazed.  I am amazed at the perseverance of the weeds.  They seem to push everything else aside as they grow their roots deep and take nutrients from the "good" plants. They don't want to be plucked out and even when I think I have rid my garden beds of them, they return - again and again.  They persevere.  I'm usually tired of pulling weeds by mid summer and left to persevere, they overtake my beds by the end of the summer.  I am amazed also that many of these "weeds" are quite beautiful.  I wonder do they try to use their good looks to survive?  Okay, I know that plants do not think that way, but do we?  Do I persevere in the right soil and in the right frame of mind? I pray that I do and you do to.  Persevere in the word and may my appearance be that kind of beauty that comes from a heart that follows and is rooted in Christ. A prayer from 2 Thessalonians 3:5, May the Lord direct your hearts into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance. Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment